KICK OFF YOUR YEAR WITH THE PPA SPORTIVE SERIES!
Sportive #1 is the perfect start to your cycling plans for 2019 and will be held at the Simonsvlei wine estate on 27 January.
Join us for this fun ride aimed at all cyclists, from beginners to experienced riders who want to keep fit riding road events throughout the year. This ride at Simonsvlei kicks off an eight-event series that is the perfect platform for improving your time and setting a new personal best.
The series promises to be a great test for endurance and stamina for anyone brave enough to take on the challenge of the longer routes and, while completing all eight events will be a great source of personal achievement, each one is also a standalone event, so you’re not required to enter all events in the Sportive Series.
THE SIMONSVLEI ROUTE
There are two routes in the first event – a 97km or 38km – and the longer version will provide you with a decent challenge in 912 m of climbing. There may be a complaint or two from the legs up the climbs, but the picturesque route will definitely keep your mind entertained! After the start Simonsvlei, you’ll head towards Stellenbosch and over Helshoogte, before pedalling past the Wemmershoek dam and through the back of Paarl towards Wellington. The return is via the R44 and finishes shortly after the Suid-Agterpaarl road on the R101.
HOW TO ENTER
- Online: go to org.za/events and you’ll see 2019 PPA SPORTIVE #1 top of the list. Click the “enter” tab! Entries will close on Thursday, 24 January at midday.
- On the day: a limited number of late entries will be taken on the morning of the event until 06h00.
- 97km: R275 for PPA members, R375 for non-PPA members
- 38km: R125 for PPA members, R175 for non-PPA members
LATE ENTRY FEES
• 97km: R375 for PPA members, R475 for non-PPA members
• 38km: R225 for PPA members, R275 for non-PPA members
Late entries will be taken at the PPA Office in Kenilworth on Friday, 25 January 2019 between 08h00-16h00 at the original entry fee. All entries on the morning of the event will be charged the late entry fee.
KEY RACE INFO
- Registration: takes place on Sunday, 27 January 2019 from 04h30 at Simonsvlei Winery.
- 97km start time: 06h00
- 38km start tie: 06h30
- Water points: the 97km route has four (28km/46km/74km/91km). The 38km route has one (20km).
MORE ABOUT THE SPORTIVE SERIES
There are eight events spread through out the year:
- PPA Sportive #1: 27 Jan, Simonsvlei wine estate (97km/38km)
- PPA Sportive #2: 17 Feb, Windmeul Winery (91km/38km)
- PPA Sportive #3: 31 March, Simonsvlei wine estate (97km/38km)
- PPA Sportive #4: 5 May, Windmeul Winery (91km/38km)
- PPA Sportive #5: 2 June, Perdeberg winery (109km/39km)
- PPA Sportive #6: 29 Sept, Simonsvlei wine estate (TBC)
- PPA Sportive #7: 13 Oct, Perdeberg winery (109km/39km)
- PPA Sportive #8: 1 Dec, Simonsvlei wine (TBC)
And… you’ll get a rather special finisher’s trophy!
This year, we have decided to do away with medals and do something much more innovative and challenging. Your eventual prize will be a cool 3D bicycle puzzle and after finishing each event, you’ll get a few pieces of the trophy … complete all eight events and you can assemble this beautiful little road bike on a stand.
But don’t worry if you don’t manage to do all the events – you will be able to buy the missing pieces at a very reasonable cost. We still want you to have that trophy to display at your home or office!
From the start at the Simonsvlei Winery, the route will take you towards Stellenbosch and over Helshoogte. You will pedal past the Wemmershoek dam and through the back of Paarl towards Wellington before returning via the R44 to finish shortly after the Suid-Agterpaarl road on the R101.
The 97 km route will have 3 water points and the 38 km route will have 1 water point.
DIRECTIONS TO THE VENUE
Follow the N1 to the R44. Take exit 47 from the N1. Turn left onto the R101. The venue will be on your right hand side in 6.2 km.
Remember to wear your PPA road fun ride number.
No children u/16 on the 97 km route.
Kids between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times on the 38 km route.