Friday 13 – Sunday 15 October 2017
PPA’s WACKY WHEELS two-day overnight tour is back! After a break from the calendar, this relaxed social tour is back by popular demand, returning to the Overberg.
The Wacky Wheels weekend adventure is not a race. There is no timing; there are no route markers or marshals, and instead of water points, we stop for coffee at café’s restaurants and farm stalls along the way. With the tour taking place over two days, we explore the roads from our base at the Onrus Caravan Park (near Hermanus) towards Betty’s Bay on Day 1 (roughly 80 km for the day), and cycle in the opposite direction on Day 2 (roughly 40 km for the day).
While we’ll be cycling on tar roads, you are most welcome to use your mountain bike instead.
Our section of the Onrus Caravan Park will be blocked off from 15h00, so you are welcome to arrive any time after that to come and set up your tent and relax, explore Onrus or go for a walk along the nearby beach. Dinner will be in the form of a bring-and-braai at the camp site – we’ll supply some wood, but please bring your own meat/salads/etc, braai grid and own drinks. If you cannot get to Onrus on Friday - no worries; we look forward to seeing you early on Saturday morning.
Coffee/tea, rusks and muffins will be available at the camp site from 07h00-08h00. We’ll leave our cars at the camp site (locking away all valuables) and start pedalling in small groups by around 08h30, making our way towards Betty’s Bay (approximately 40 km) away.
We’ll stop in Kleinmond for brunch (this will be for your own account) and to explore the various interesting shops along Harbour Road on our return from Betty’s Bay, before leaving at 14h00 to return to Onrus. Back at the camp, tea/coffee/coke will be available at 16h00, with the rest of the afternoon yours to play with. Beach time if you will!
“Prize-giving” will start at around 17h30. ‘Expect the unexpected’, is all we can say here.
Supper will follow at around 18h30 – we’ll do a short walk up the road to Bella Napoli, where yummy pizzas await you. While the cost of the pizza and juice/tea/coffee is included in your tour price, any alcoholic beverages/additional drinks will be for your own account.
This morning’s ride will start earlier as we head off for a social ride in and around Onrus and into Hermanus (total distance for the day around 40 km), returning to the camp site for a shower and to pack-up camp before heading off by car around 12h00 to lunch at Die Plaas Kombuis.
Stuff everyone usually asks us
- Only 30 Wacky Wheelers can be accommodated.
- Preference will be given to PPA members, after which entries will be opened to non-members, after which entries will be opened to non-cyclists / family members.
- Please bring your own tent (or find a friend with one to share!), sleeping bag, camping chair, camping mattress, and whatever camping equipment you cannot do without. A list of recommended clothes, toiletries and camping stuff will be sent to you closer to the Overnight Tour.
- Participants are required to obey all traffic rules at all times, ride in single file when required, and stop at all stop streets and red traffic lights. No marshalling or traffic support will be provided.
- All additional drinks and alcoholic beverages consumed at supper on Saturday night and at lunch on Sunday will be for your own account.
- Coffee/drinks/snacks consumed en route on Saturday and Sunday will be for your own account, as is brunch on Saturday
- Entry is secured only upon receipt of full payment.
- No refunds will be made after 1st October, although substitutions will be allowed. Substitutions received after 1 October may not get a T-shirt in the desired size.
- The Wacky Wheels Overnight Tour will not take place if fewer than 23 entries are received.
What does it cost?
PPA MEMBERS: R850 per person
NON-MEMBERS: R950 per person
- Your entry fee includes the following:
- Accommodation at the Onrus camp site for Friday and Saturday nights (4-6 people to a site);
- Light breakfast [coffee/tea/rusks] on Saturday and Sunday morning;
- Tea/coffee & biscuits on Saturday afternoon;
- Dinner on Saturday evening;
- Lunch on Sunday afternoon
- Your Wacky Wheels t-shirt.
Want to know more?
Wendy Cole at the PPA office – email@example.com or Tel: (021) 671-4079 / (021) 671-6340